Wednesday, April 24, 2013

blog 2


Highlight

Personal Highlight: I get to work with a social studies teacher as well as the English teacher now. Yay for principals and things working out!

I think a highlight for this week for me is getting the opportunity to watch students improve. Although I hate the redundancy of the practice tests, I am watching students who couldn’t do certain things last week do it without effort this week. It is interesting to see students progress over the quarter. I know of one student who is also working with a reading strategist outside of the classroom is improving a lot fro when I first met him in 8th grade to where he is now. So seeing 8th graders mature and learn, that is a definite highlight.

Something that happened

Something that happened that made me think about education was getting the opportunity to start the class on my own and then teach. My cooperating teacher usually introduces me, but she let me start the class this week and be more in control of the room. In third period, it was bumpy and I had some management issues. In fourth period, as the students trailed in from a math class where they had been rambunctious, apparently, the math teacher wished me “good luck” and had a good natured chuckle. But then fourth period was amazing, they were awesome and on task, and focused for me. So I guess what this made me realize is you can’t have solid expectations with students, whether they be negative or positive. Sometimes students surprise you, and flexibility is job requirement.

One practice or approach

My practice this week is honesty. North Pines students are doing constant MSP practice tests, and sometimes they are given an explanation as to why. So when I worked with third period on Monday, I just gave them the assignment and said “this is what we’re doing.” It did not go smoothly, and I think part of it is the students feel like their time is being wasted. So in fourth period, I started out by saying I knew they were sick of practice tests, and I understood. I then said we wanted them to be comfortable with the test so that next week they would not get stressed out on the actual MSP.

I see my cooperating teacher give her rationale often and address issues. I think it is ok to sympathize with your students and just be honest, but then give your reasons and go through with your curriculum or plans.

Conflicts

One conflict I faced was with a student who seems to be having some medical/emotional issues that is somewhat getting ignored in my class. I noticed last Friday, this student told my cooperating teacher that he was having problems with his medication and was off. She didn’t do anything, and he failed the test. Then on Monday, the same student was fine. Today, he was clearly having an “off day” and was working alone in the hallway, but not seeming to focus on anything. I don’t know if my teacher is aware of the issue and I am worried about this student, but am scared to step on her toes by bringing it up.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment