Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Weekly blog

Highlight...
MSP testing os over!!! We get to well, actually teach again. The bells are still off this week, but we get to read and start a novel unit. Soooo nice to be back to a normal.
Thinking...
My cooperating teacher did a great job introducing our novel unit, the outsiders. She used it as an opportunity to talk about the stereotypes students at my school feel, like they go to the poor school and have less. She let them talk and vent,but then discussed how stereotypes are not true. Some
Of the ideas they discussed were just because you are rich, doesn't mean your life is easy. Just because you are poor, doesn't mean you aren't smart or kind. They were good life lessons and provided a good platform for the book.
Approach...
The social studies teacher I work with meets one on one with at least one student very say. I think it is a good idea, and of you take five minutes, in the course of a month you'll have given every student individual attention, and I admire the extra effort she puts in.

I got to chat with one student, who is chronically absent. I asked her why she wasn't workin, and she said what she always says "I can't do this, Ive been gone." so I just said that I knew she had missed some things ,but she wasn't helpless. I told her she had her book and her partner and I could answer any questions. She was more engaged the rest of the period and even raised her hand in class. A little bit of attention goes a long way.

Perplexing....
So I had an issue with a substitute. I worked with a sub in my English and class and I just didn't agre with her styles and beliefs. She was overly authoritarian and well... Mean. She told one students he was going to be a failure for her entire life. And she openly made judgements about my school. So I didn't know what to do, it was an awkward situation to be in.

No comments:

Post a Comment