Monday, June 3, 2013

last weekly blog!

So here it is, the end of the weekly blogs.

Highlights
Cover Photo

I GOT TO SEE A CIVIL WAR CANNON, IN A CLASSROOM! (picture above, but not of my school).
sorry, I was excited. we had a speaker (https://www.facebook.com/#!/TheCannonGuy?fref=ts)  come to my Social Studies class. Students got to see and use a replica civil war cannon, and it was fun stuff.
it was actually useful for students to think about the details, what does it mean that it took six people to aim a six pound cannon? What kidn of damage would a six pound ball do to an opposing army? Good lesson, good fun, good experience.

thoughts and practices

I have heard a lot of talk about the "hidden curriculum" of education, which promotes certain racial and gender stereotypes and hierarchies in the classroom. I feel like my cooperating teachers are thoughtful and try to promote equality at my school. Whereas I liked the demnstration, the cannon guys bothered me because he definitely didn't do this. He made several jokes (I think I counted thirteen in a half hour, before I quit counting) that insinuated that girls are giggling and airheadish. He also made a few borderline racist jokes, and did an immitation "gay" voice to tease a student. So it just made me think about how even being good natured and jovial, you can still be hurtful towards students. I guess it was just different to see "the hidden curriculum" in action than to read about it.
( I don't think I am overestimating the teacher too much. when I introduced myself he said I would probably get a job next year because I was a "pretty girl" and thats what principals look for. awkward.)


perplexing

I am so sad that the year is ending. And I am going to miss my students. I guess my perplexing situation is getting my head aroudn the idea of teaching totally new students next year, and tryign to mentally plan for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment